Thrills and Chills, Ghosts and Goblins
September 28, 2009
If Halloween is your favorite time of year, there’s no better place to be than Ohio’s Lake Erie Shores and Islands. With events beginning as early as September, Halloween transcends its traditional day-long celebration.
* Ghostly Manor Thrill Center – Recognized as one of the best walk-through attractions in the nation by a leading funhouse enthusiasts’ organization, Ghostly Manor Thrill Center boasts the area’s best in haunted technology. This spooky center offers an eerie experience from the moment you pull in the parking lot – just look for the roaring dragon emerging from the castle on Route 250.
* 10th Annual Halloween Campout – East Harbor State Park in Marblehead: Have a ghoulish time with a bonfire, dance, scarecrow building contest, campsite decorating contest, a cookout, a seriously spooky haunted house, kid’s crafts and games, hayrides and more! October 2 – 3 and October 9 – 10.
*HalloWeekends at Cedar Point September 18 through November 1 – The world’s best amusement park celebrates 13 years of haunts for the entire family with “spooktacular” entertainment, haunted houses, eerie walk-through attractions and special areas for kids – plus all the thrills of Cedar Points’ 17 coasters and rides. Runs Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays only.
* Beyond Midnight Haunted Attraction – Weekends in October, the Midnight Haunters Society presents a haunted attraction featuring several rooms of mind boggling, heart-pounding scares.
* Terror in the Field – The Haunted Corn Maze presented by the Old Haunted State Street School at Vermilion’s Novotny Farm Market is the perfect place for our bravest visitors. Enter if you dare.
* Halloween at the Bay – Downtown taverns decorate with a theme for Halloween. Hundreds of people are in costume. Some establishments have costume contests and give cash prizes. This is Put-in-Bay’s last big weekend. You’ve got to see it, to believe it.
* Sandusky State Theatre – Catch the Halloween spirit with Enchante’ Cabaret “Witches Brew” (October 12 – 14) and A Rockin’ Halloween Adventure with Wendy Witch (October 24). Ghoulish fun is guaranteed at Frankenstein’s Wacky Wedding on Halloween eve and Halloween. Don’t miss the theatre’s Ghost Hunt with Psychic Travis Sanders on Halloween night. End your Halloween celebrations by showing off your ghostly moves at the Monster Bash.
* Tombstone Derby Motorized Casket Racing – Live bands, a hearse and car show, magic show, games, kid’s activities and head-to-head casket races. There’s something for everyone October 25 in the Village of Elmore.
Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands
One of the Midwest hottest vacation spots, the region between Toledo and Cleveland provides an eclectic mix of historically significant sites, family-fun amusements, gorgeous scenery, and outdoor recreation.