New Thrills in Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands
May 01, 2018
Each year as summer approaches, Lake Erie Shores & Islands is thrilled to share all the new and exciting attractions which will welcome visitors in the coming season. With fresh feature attractions at some of the country’s best amusement destinations, new exhibits and events, and a variety of additional experiences, 2018 is bound to be the best year yet!
The reviews are in and Cedar Point's all-new Steel Vengeance coaster is a bona fide hit! Steel Vengeance – the tallest, fastest, and longest hybrid coaster in the world – not only combines a hybrid construction of smooth steel track set atop a wood support structure, but also reaches a height of over 200 feet! Steel Vengeance features the first-of-its-kind “Twisted Snake Dive.” In this new maneuver, the coaster's train enters a half-barrel roll, hanging upside-down for a brief moment and then turns back in the direction of travel, not completing a full roll. The wildest ride Cedar Point has ever built includes multiple airtime hills, twists and dives, overbanked turns and surprise maneuvers.
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, home to America's Largest Indoor Waterparks, continues to innovate with the highest quality attractions and amenities. The amazing expansion of the resort's Zambezi Outdoor Waterpark moves forward with the addition of a new kids' area. Bugs Burrow welcomes Kalahari's smallest guests with a new slide area just for them. The mind-bending experience offers kids the chance to imagine what it would be like if they were the size of a bug. Bugs Burrow joins the five-slide tower which opened last summer in the outdoor park and includes such rides as the Sahara Sidewinder and Serengeti Spinner. Back inside, the recently-opened Storm Chaser Slideboarding Adventure integrates gaming, skill, speed, and competitive sports into a one-of-a-kind waterslide experience.
Speaking of one-of-a-kind experiences, one that truly defines a visit to Lake Erie Shores & Islands is the spectacular view from the observation deck of Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-in-Bay. This experience is back as the memorial re-opens its popular observation deck after a year off for cleaning and restoration. Tour the visitor center to learn about the War of 1812 and Perry's victory at the Battle of Lake Erie, then head to the observation deck of the 352-foot column to enjoy panoramic views of Lake Erie and neighboring islands.
2018 also marks a very special anniversary in one of Lake Erie Shores & Islands' communities. A celebration 200 years in the making, as the City of Sandusky celebrates its Bicentennial with history exhibits, community activities, guided walks, and events like July’s Festival of Sail. The Festival of Sail, July 12-15 will bring in tall ships, the world's largest rubber duck, along with a variety of food trucks and fantastic entertainment to Sandusky's historic waterfront.
SHORESandISLANDS.com provides a comprehensive list of events, activities, and live entertainment options for the region as well as lodging packages and Shore Savings discounts. Check out the blog for a complete list of all the latest additions to Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands in 2018 and plan your visit today!
Other New & Notables for 2018:
- African Safari Wildlife Park's 50th Anniversary and new Aviary Adventure exhibit, Port Clinton
- Cameo Pizza Put-in-Bay's new location, Put-in-Bay
- Catawba Island Historical Society museum and cultural center, Catawba Island
- Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers new six-story tower with 158 rooms, Sandusky
- Cedar Point's Lighthouse Point campground “Ultimate RV Sites”, Sandusky
- Dad’s Trading Post outdoor store, Marblehead
- Erie MetroParks 50th Anniversary, Various Locations
- Escape Rooms by Franknicky new outdoor adventure, Sandusky
- Gateway Point Inn, Sandusky
- Island AdvenTours, Kelleys Island
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions B-Lux Grill & Bar, Sandusky
- Lakeside Chautauqua pickleball courts, Lakeside
- Merry-Go-Round Museum “Into the Wild” exhibit, Sandusky
- Ottawa County Barn Quilt Trail, Various Locations
- Overboard Bar & Grill, Port Clinton
- Paddle & Climb outdoor store with rock-climbing tower, Sandusky
- Port Clinton Lighthouse replica light keeper's boathouse, Port Clinton
- Put-in-Play Con, Put-in-Bay
- The Resort at Erie Landing, Port Clinton
- Rock the Light music festival, Port Clinton
- SanBrew Bike party bike, Sandusky
- Sand Trap Tiki Bar at Caddy Shack Square, Kelleys Island
- Sundusky Bayshore KOA Holiday Campground offering archery, paintball, and kayak/paddle board rentals to guests and non-guests, Sandusky
- Spa Kalahari (at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions) float tank experience, Sandusky
- Twin Oast Brewing Company brewery, Catawba Island
- Village of Genoa celebrates its Sesquicentennial in 2018, Genoa
In case you missed it – here are some new Lake Erie Shores & Islands options which opened late last year:
- Barra Restaurant, Sandusky
- Bay Popcorn Company, Sandusky
- Erie County Historical Society virtual downtown Sandusky historic walking tour, Sandusky
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Storm Chaser Slideboarding Adventure, Sandusky
- The Old Fish House coffee shop and bar, Huron
- OH Taco restaurant, Sandusky
Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands
One of the Midwest’s hottest vacation spots, the region between Toledo and Cleveland provides an eclectic mix of historically significant sites, family-fun amusements, gorgeous scenery, and outdoor recreation.