Ohio Bike Week Roars into the Coast
May 14, 2019
Ohio Bike Week is coming! Ten days of rockin’ and ridin’ all throughout the Lake Erie Shores & Islands region, this annual rally is a roaring kick-off to the summer season on the coast. Never been? We recently sat down with Ohio Bike Week Marketing Manager, Amanda Nixon, to see what it’s all about and what exciting plans are in the works for the May 24-June 2 festival.
LES&I: Why is the Lake Erie Shores & Islands region an ideal location for a bike rally?
Amanda: Ohio’s Lake Erie Shores & Islands is a great region for a motorcycle rally because it’s a tourist destination with the wide variety of recreational activities, plus scenic roads perfect for riding, especially along the coast of Lake Erie.
LES&I: What makes Ohio Bike Week different from other bike rallies across the US, such as Daytona and Sturgis?
Amanda: We offer a centrally located rally – all of the venues and major activities of the rally take place close together. Whereas Daytona and Sturgis require more traveling between venues. The presence of Lake Erie and Cedar Point also have an added draw.
LES&I: How long has OBW been in existence?
Amanda: The rally began in 2001 as the North Coast Thunder Rally, which was 3-day block party.
LES&I: What kind of entertainment can attendees expect? Anything new or unique?
Amanda: This year we have eight national acts including Loverboy, Queensryche, and The Cadillac Three who kick-off the first weekend. Then Jackyl, Saliva, Trapt, Saving Abel, and Black Stone Cherry take the stage during the Downtown Block Party for FREE shows (VIP area tickets are available). Other notable acts include Jasmine Cain, The Earthquakers, Disco Inferno, and Mustang Sally, plus countless other local bands! Plus, there will be live music all 10 days at the Barrel House Saloon in downtown Sandusky.
LES&I: Will there be organized rides or tours?
Amanda: Yes! Tons! The biggest ride we have is our 2nd attempt to break the World Record for Largest Motorcycle Poker Run. This is on Monday, May 27th. We have 15 locations participating, it’s $15 per person, all proceeds benefit Combat Vets Association, and the grand prize is $2,000 cash! Go to Worldrecordrun.eventbrite.com to register. Other rides include:
- Friday, May 24th – Ladies Lakeside Ride - We will be hosting our first ladies only ride, a ride around Lakeside and Marblehead and ending back at Mad River for Jasmine Cain live.
- Tuesday, May 28th – Prison Ride to Mansfield Reformatory, $10 for a tour
- Wednesday, May 29th – Kelleys Island Dice Run! Motorcycles get a discounted rate on the Kelleys Island Ferry – just $5 – Registration begins at Peeper’s and the run ends at The Casino.
- Thursday, May 30th – Jesse James Dupree, lead singer of Jackyl, leads a charity ride to benefit Stein Hospice - $20 per person – Goes to Crow’s Nest and ends at Comfort Inn Bikini Contest.
- Friday, May 31st – Winery Tour to benefit Anti-Virus Youth Education - $5 per person, visits wineries and one person wins 50% of the registration fees! This is a HUGE ride as well. The prize usually totals over $1,000 cash.
- Saturday, June 1st – George Roeder Memorial Parade – Stages at Roeder Racing in Monroeville and ends at the Downtown Block Party in Downtown Sandusky. Very cool to see! People will line Columbus Ave in Sandusky to watch!
All rides, except the Parade, leave out of Mad River Harley Davidson. Visit https://www.madriverharley.com/--OBWRides for more info!
LES&I: What is the advantage of purchasing an All-Access Pass?
Amanda: An Ohio Bike Week All-Access Pass offers VIP access to ALL concerts along with discount ferry access. The VIP sections are directly in front of the stage and also have a private bar.
LES&I: What would you tell someone who owns a motorcycle but has not been to Ohio Bike Week before?
Amanda: It’s an entirely new experience that is essential if you love motorcycles and live music. There’s plenty of daily entertainment, shopping, riding, and a huge community of people who love motorcycles. It’s a great experience!
Want to join us? Check out OhioBikeWeek.com for a full schedule of events and to buy your All-Access Pass. This is coasting!
Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands
One of the Midwest’s hottest vacation spots, the region between Toledo and Cleveland provides an eclectic mix of historically significant sites, family-fun amusements, gorgeous scenery, and outdoor recreation.