Want to learn more about our indoor waterparks? Follow along over the next several weeks as we introduce individual reviews from guest bloggers.
When the weather outside is frightful, many folks plan an indoor waterpark getaway to take advantage of toasty 80+ degrees indoor temperatures, regardless of weather conditions. But how do you choose the right waterpark resort for your vacation? Allow us to introduce you to the indoor waterpark resorts of Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands in alphabetical order.
Theme: Caribbean paradise
Family fun: 38,000 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features large wave-action pool, indoor/outdoor hot tub, and water coaster. Waterpark day passes are available for non-hotel guests. Win prizes at the state-of-the-art arcade and participate in daily family-fun activities at Camp Castaway, detailed in the Island Times newsletter available at the front desk.
Food features: Snack bar located within the waterpark; quick-service deli; breakfast buffet restaurant; attached Quaker Steak & Lube full-service restaurant; room service is also available, including pizza.
- Affiliation with Cedar Point – Cedar Point Amusement Park ticket packages are available and as a Cedar Point hotel guest you have access to discount tickets and admission to the park one hour prior to opening to the general public.
- PEANUTS™ characters – Join Snoopy and the PEANUTS™ gang for nightly story time, special family activities (dance party!), movies, and character meet-and-greets.
Theme: Northwoods lodge
Family fun: 33,000 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features a lazy river, four-story fort, and giant tipping bucket. Other activities offered include the Cub Club arts and crafts, character appearances, story time and the Great Clock Tower show as well as a prize-winning arcade.
Food features: Snack bar located within the waterpark; take-out pizza, sandwiches, and salads; sweet shop featuring coffee, ice cream, pastries, and homemade fudge; on-site Dunkin’ Donuts open morning and afternoon; full-service Gitchigoomie Grill offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with a full-service bar.
- Sweet suites – This all-suite hotel features fabulous themed suites, including the “Wolf Den,” “Kid Cabin,” “Royal Bear,” and loft fireplace suites.
- MagiQuest – Play this fun, interactive game and turn Great Wolf Lodge into your own personal playground. Purchase a magic wand and set off on a quest throughout the resort, where you’ll unlock a world of adventure. Great for family play!
- Build-A-Bear Workshop – Create Great Wolf Lodge characters including Wiley the Wolf and Sammy the Squirrel using of a wide assortment of plush clothing and accessories. This make-your-own experience will allow guests to leave with a one-of-a-kind, special souvenir.
Theme: Authentically African
Family fun: 173,000 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features a number of thrilling slides, a water coaster, lazy river, wave pool, special kids' areas, and more! The resort also features an outdoor waterpark in-season, with a five-slide tower! Other fun includes the Safari Outdoor Adventures Park which offers zip-lining, ropes course, rock-climbing wall, and the Safari Adventures Animal Park. Kids’ activities are offered daily, including crafts and character appearances, plus a huge family arcade with indoor glow golf.
Food features: There is truly something for every taste with a variety of onsite dining choices; everything from a quick-service pizza pub, deli, buffet restaurant, full-service dining options, room-service, sweet shop, and several lounges. Now open, guests can enjoy B-Lux Grill & Bar - home of handcrafted burgers and shakes. The new restaurant captures the latest craves through its robust influence of American-style food with fresh ingredients that are locally sourced.
- Authentic African décor/artwork – Don't miss the décor all throughout! The Nelson family has a passion for Africa – beginning with the family's first trip to the continent in the mid-90s, the family continues to regularly visit for inspiration and to purchase authentic items for their resorts,including hand-carved seating and tables, tribal masks and sculpture, hand-woven textiles and more.
- Storm Chaser – The Storm Chaser Slideboarding Adventure integrates gaming, skill, speed, and competitive sports into an experience that will define the waterparks of the future. Storm Chaser features an interactive multi-level game built within a waterslide. It uses a smart gaming system that tracks your progress and scores your run down the waterslide as you hit your targets for points, and unlock new levels.
- Spa Kalahari – Pamper yourself during your getaway with a visit to Spa Kalahari, featuring a Himalayan Salt Halotherapy Room and Kidz Spa & Salon.
- Float Experience at Spa Kalahari – In water temperatures that match your body’s own internal temperature, you float, suspended in a bath of Epsom salt or magnesium sulfate. Learn how to relax in the deepest sense of the word—weightless, silent, peaceful.
- Bugs Burrow – The mind-bending experience offers kids the chance to imagine what it would be like if they were the size of a bug. The community of Bugs Burrow features a myriad of lovable cartoon insects and critters that welcome Kalahari's smallest guests to splash, play and have fun.
With so many great waterpark and accommodations features, it may be hard to choose! One thing is for sure, you'll definitely have a swim-tastic time in Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands. Book your getaway today!