There are varied camping experiences available throughout the Shores & Islands Ohio region. There is everything from rustic cabins and primitive tent sites for a real “outdoorsy” experience, family-friendly resort campgrounds full of activities, RV campgrounds near the lake with marina access for boaters, and luxury RV sites just steps away from the thrills of Cedar Point Amusement Park. You can even camp on an island! Yes, RV’s can be transported across Lake Erie to Kelleys Island and Put-in-Bay.
Camping is also an affordable way to travel to the region, often costing less than a hotel stay. Staying at a campground doesn’t always equal “roughing it” either – many of our local campgrounds offer park models, cabins, and cottages that can be rented – some large enough for a big group. And RV camping doesn’t necessarily require ownership of an RV either – some campgrounds keep them permanently parked and rent them out just like a cottage, or you can rent from Road Adventures by Mark Wahlberg (he doesn’t just make action flicks and burgers!) You can pick up your rented RV at their two Ohio locations (Lorain and Columbus) for your own road adventure – or they will deliver and set up the RV at the campground of your choice. Camping has never been easier!
For a detailed description of each Shores & Islands Ohio partner campground and its amenities, use the lodging search feature on our website. Simply click “Stay” on the header menu, select “I’d love to stay in a CAMPGROUND,” select your neighborhood (Shores & Islands community), the amenities you desire (such as “swimming” or “pets permitted,”) and then click “search.” You’ll be served a list of area campgrounds that fit your search perimeters.
Here, we offer a quick breakdown of some of the area’s campgrounds and what they offer.
East & Central Shores Regions
These campgrounds are located near Sandusky, Cedar Point, and the eastern portion of our area.
- Camp Sandusky, Sandusky – RV, tent sites, cabins – offers family activities and a pool
- Crystal Rock Campground, Sandusky – RV, tent sites, cabins – offers family activities
- Lighthouse Point at Cedar Point, Sandusky – RV sites, Luxury RV sites, cottages, and cabins – offers a pool and beach access as well as admission packages with Cedar Point and Cedar Point Shores water park
- Sandusky Bayshore KOA Holiday Campground, Sandusky – RV, tent sites, cabins, park models – offers family activities and a pool
- Sandusky Milan RV Park, Milan – RV, tent sites, cabins, park models – offers family activities and a pool
North and West Shores Regions
These campgrounds are located near Port Clinton, Catawba, and Marblehead, and the western portion of our area.
- Camp Perry Campground, Port Clinton – RV, tent sites, cottages, onsite motel – offers private beach access
- Cedarlane RV Resort, Catawba – RV, RV rentals, cabins, park models – offers family activities and a pool
- East Harbor State Park, Marblehead – RV, tent, primitive cabins – offers family activities and beach access
- Lakeside Chautauqua Campground, Lakeside/Marblehead – RV and tent sites – Lakeside Chautauqua passes are required to stay, which allows guest access to family activities, pool, and beach access
- The Resort at Erie Landing, Port Clinton – RV sites, cottages, villas – offers family activities and a pool
- Rocky Point RV Park, Marblehead – RV sites and marina
- Surf Motel and RV Campground, Marblehead – RV sites and onsite motel – offers family activities and a pool
- Tall Timbers Campground, Port Clinton – RV, RV rentals, park models – offers family activities and a pool
- Tibbles Motel and RV Park, Marblehead – RV sites, on-site motel, marina
- White Caps RV Park, Port Clinton – RV sites, onsite motel, cottages, marina
These campgrounds are located on Kelleys Island, Middle Bass Island, and South Bass Island/Put-in-Bay and require ferry transportation to reach.
- Kelleys Island State Park, Kelleys Island – RV and tent sites, cabins, yurts – offers family activities and beach access
- Middle Bass Island State Park, Middle Bass Island – primitive tent camping only and marina – restrooms and showers available in harbormaster building
- South Bass Island State Park, Put-in-Bay – RV, tent, cabents, cabins – offers family activities and beach access
- Hazards Campground, Middle Bass Island – tent sites, cabins, chalet, and villas – offers beach access
What kind of Shores & Islands camping adventure will you find this season? Whatever your choice, be sure to bring the cookout food, bug spray, and sunscreen!